Friday, October 17, 2014

Not a Fan of Grits and Shrimp but God Bless Those Peas!

We love The Woodlands!

I don't know what all we did this week, but it went by super fast!!!!!  The days just flew by.  Monday was super stormy.  The power went out at the library for just a few minutes and then it came back on.  Our dinner canceled because they had the stomach flu, so we just stayed home.  We left a little early to get our car vacuumed, and got totally lost, don't even know how that happened!  We then went to see potential investigators and made some appointments.

Tuesday was nice.  We tried by more former investigators and potentials and then had our little picnic lunch.  We had to make an emergency bathroom stop at a less active member's house and she let us in.  We talked with her for a little while and then left feeling relieved and happy to have met her.  We visited a few members and then had a delicious dinner with a member,  We then made a road trip to Montgomery to go on splits with those sisters.  I never knew where Montgomery was before.  I now know it is about 20 miles outside our area and that  going there and back killed our miles.  We will be walking a lot this week.  It was good though.  I went with Sister Diaz to see a recent convert and to teach her little sister.  We then went back to their apartment and we talked about the area and their companionship.  We then headed home, dreading the  rest of the week knowing how far we went.  Turned out not too bad, we just lost all of our wiggle room.

On Wednesday we taught seminary again, the seniors this time.  They were a little more asleep than the sophomores.  We took a little nap after and then we went to PCI.  We didn't have to dig any more holes!!  That was good.  We just moved around pallets and we got to ride in the bed of a truck.  That was fun.  We had a quick lunch and then went to an appointment with an investigator.  I think it went well, it is always hard to tell with her.  We got out late though and missed an appointment with someone else.  That was a little bit of a bummer, but it will turn out fine.   We tracted around for the rest of the afternoon, had a really really long conversation with a member on the phone, and got really wet running from the car to the front door of our dinner appointment.  We got to meet a really cool guy that was the neighbor of a member.  The member had referred them to us and it was really good, he was super nice.  We hope to get in and start teaching them soon.

We had a busy Thursday!!  We volunteered at the Interfaith food bank and that was nice.  We filled bags with various goods to give to seniors and made little toiletry bags.  Those smelled really good.  We then had a little lunch and Sister Heaps had a conference call with the other leaders. I managed to write 5 entries in my journal in that time.  I am a little behind since I've been in the Woodlands I was sick and just wanted to sleep.  I am getting caught up now though!  Only two weeks behind!  We then went to go see a recent convert who is having a bit of a hard time.  He is basically in a fight with his best friend, sad.  He is so strong in his faith though, it is awesome.  Afterwards we did our weekly planning and had some dinner.  We then went to see a member, but she wasn't home so we knocked on her neighbor's door and it was great.  We saw another member and then went home.

ME & Sis Tofa
On Friday we went on exchanges with the Legends sisters after district meeting.  Before we left the church I practiced a song with with one of the elders who agreed to play the piano with me.  We changed parts of it to meet our playing ability and it sounds pretty good!  Then Sister Tofa and I went off to Legends!  We had a good day.  We saw a few members and we had dinner with the same family that I had dinner with when I was on exchanges in Imperial Oaks (long story).  That was crazy.  We then went to the church and played volleyball as a finding activity.  It was lots of fun, I actually made a point or two and touched the ball on a number of occasions, and there were nonmembers there!  Lots of fun.  

Saturday morning we went to a baptism of someone that Sister Heaps had taught in Cypress, further killing our miles, but it was a good cause.  The baptism was great.  I felt the Spirit so strongly, and I didn't even know the person!  It was beautiful. We then stopped at a gas station and picked out the least disgusting food for lunch because we didn't have time to stop before our next appointment.  That appointment fell through, but we were able to do some good stuff before we went to an appointment with our investigator.  

It was really good. She has such an understanding of the Atonement already, and she uses it daily.  It is great!!  She loves all the members she knows and wants what she sees in them for her grandson.  She just needs to accept the fact that she is already basically member and just come to church already.  We saw a member and then parked our car and walked to our dinner appointment, knocking on doors along the way.  We knock on a door and a woman opens it.  We start saying who we are and then a man behind her says excitedly, "Is it the Mormons?"  We were kind of afraid.  He either wanted to Bible bash with us or he was super prepared were our only thoughts.  He told us that he had waited 15 years for missionaries to knock on his door because he was so fascinated by them.  He talked to us on the porch for a good 15 minutes telling us all the stuff he knows, how much he respects us, about him, and how he and his wife would love to take us to lunch sometime.  Not what we were expecting at all.  It was really cool.  

We then had to speed walk to our dinner appointment because we were already late.  For the first time on my mission I had something I didn't like. (It was grits and shrimp.  There was peas on the side and that is what saved me).   That's ok though, because that means I talked to them more instead of eating.  We then went tracting and visited a member.  She made brownies for us, so that made up for dinner.  We then went home and wrote out thank you notes for a bunch of people in the ward.

On Sunday we had stake conference.  It was a really big deal because they were splitting the stake.  The Spring stake split into the Spring and The Woodlands stakes.  They also realigned our ward boundaries which I was not happy about.  They only took a little part out, but it is the part with our #1 investigator.  I am really tired of people not giving me a heads up about changes in my area. I feel responsible for the people in my proselyting area and when they take people away from me I get very upset.  I was very distraught every time I thought about it. I had to go pray about it.  I felt an unmistakable feeling of peace, so while I don't like it, I am at peace about it.  

We then took with us a girl who is leaving for her mission in two weeks.  She drove us around to see investigators and potentials, and even went tracting with us.  We tracted into one of her co-workers so he listened to us.  That was awesome.  She then took us back to our car so we could go to dinner.  Ironically enough, her family had been invited to dinner as well, so that was fun.  We had a great dinner and then we went to Autumn Leaves to sing with the old people.  It was really good.  With General Conference last week we had forgotten to go, so it was nice to go this week.  It was a good week.  Crazy, but good.

Happy fall y'all!


Sister Hudgens


The leaves are actually changing colors