Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Found Heidi a Husband


Beautiful Sisters Davis & Hudgens

The days were long this week, but once again, the week flew by!  I hope Grace got my card, I sent it last Monday.  If not, Happy Birthday Grace!!!!!

Last Monday after our P-Day fun we had a few appointments and then we went to redo the chalk sign that had been washed away by the rain.  We enlisted a family to help and were able to finish just before dark.  Even got a ride back to their house in their truck!  It looks pretty good, the best we have done yet!!  Throughout the week members kept coming up to us and saying how much they admired our handiwork.  One lady said that her daughter had her drive by it 3 times so she could look at it and take pictures.  So people are seeing it.  I hope that includes nonmembers and that they are going to mormon.org.

On Tuesday we did the usual pretty much, try to visit people and then go play chicken foot with the old people.  When we finished the game one of the ladies came up to us and asked if she could give us some clothes.  We said of course!  I was a little worried because I wasn't sure if we would be able to find anything we liked, but I got a really cute and comfy shirt and a blazer, so it was pretty cool.    We thanked her and then went on the rest of our day.  We went to Young Womens that night since our meeting was canceled and we were there anyway.  They were making crafts for girl's camp and we helped make some for the girls that weren't there.  Pretty fun stuff. We then switched companions to go on exchanges.  I was with Sister Garlick again, but this time she came to my area. I tried to practice my flute that night for our choir performance on Sunday, but my flute wasn't working!  I could play a few notes and then it wouldn't work and sounded super airy.  Not good since I have to play it on Sunday!  Couldn't worry about it too much then though I had a few other things on my mind.

It has my name so I had to take a picture
Wednesday was pretty productive.  We were actually able to catch people at home and visit a semi-active member.  It was really good.  We were also able to see Grace, our little old lady moving to the Czech Republic on the 12th.  We were able to get her a big print edition of the scriptures and she was so grateful!   I am just happy that she will be able to read them easier now.  We are just preparing her to meet the missionaries there.  She really wants to learn!  We gave her the information for the branch there and how she can refer herself on mormon.org.  I really hope that she will be able to get he missionaries there!  I know she is ready to accept the gospel, she just needs to get settled and she will be good to go!  

We visited a few other people, had dinner, and then exchanged back.  There was a ward picnic so we went to that.  Transfers are the 17th and we are pretty sure Sister Davis is leaving. It was kind of hard for her because she had to say good bye to a lot of people before they fled the summer heat now that school is out.  Very bitter sweet!  I am going to miss her!

On Thursday we did our weekly planning and then went to volunteer at the food bank.  We were pretty busy putting cans into bags for people to just grab and sorting cans into appropriate boxes, making sure they are not expired.  Kept us busy for the afternoon.  We visited a few members then had dinner at Subway since no one signed up to feed us.  The we visited with Sister Luke.  She said we came at just the right moment to save her kids from certain death.  I guess they were being quite the crazy kids that day.  So we just sat and talked with her, I fed her baby so she could actually eat her own dinner, and we played with her kids.  Pretty fun.

Friday was zone meeting.  I love going to zone meeting.  It is nice to get training.  This month it was on spiritual awakenings. What has been ours?  How can we help others?  Made me think about my life and if I have had my spiritual awakening.  I don't feel like I have had a big huge one, but I have had several little ones. Little moments when I knew that a certain principle of the gospel was true.  It was good though.  We had some lunch and then we went a visiting.  Not many people at home but we did catch a few.  We visited with the Udy family, and one of their sons reminds me of Heidi a little bit. He is random, hilarious, and he thinks he is black, just like Heidi!  I told them that he reminds me of my sister, and his mom asked to see a picture of her.  I have taken to carrying around our family picture (not the one with the weapons) and so I handed it to her.  I think she is now making plans to marry off her son to Heidi, so watch out!

Saturday we had quite the productive day visiting members.  They were actually home!  We made plans to finish the lessons with our 9 year old investigator so he can be baptized next Saturday.  We also had a super good dinner.  They made these little steaks that were so good and mashed potatoes and grilled squash. Reminded me of a meal we would have at home!!  Also made me realize that I haven't had mashed potatoes in a while and I missed them!  I think I have had them one other time before in this area.  Kind of weird.  We then stopped by the graduation party for all of the seniors in our ward.  Got to meet a few of their nonmember friends and eat some cream puffs.  It was a good day.

Sunday was super busy.  We had ward conference yesterday and I played a flute I borrowed from someone in the ward.  I wasn't nervous until I got up there.  Then I got really nervous.  Our ward is huge!  It has about 450 people on a good day plus all the stake people.  So I said a silent prayer and I calmed down enough to play. I did pretty good too!  Don't think I messed up very much at all.  After church we had back to back appointments all day.  It is a good thing one of them was feeding us lunch, because we wouldn't have had time to eat other wise!  We met with some less actives, finished the lessons with Tyler (the 9 year old), met with Madilyn and her mom, taught some lessons to active members.  I feel really good about what we have been doing here in Katy and I will be so sad when it is my time to leave.  Hopefully though, that won't be for a while.

Transfers are in a week and a half, we have a new mission president coming in on July 1st, and there is going to be lots of training, meetings, and interviews for the next few weeks, so I am going to be very busy!  Oh, and my birthday is coming up, that is weird.  It is definitely going to be crazy and I can't wait to see what the next month will bring!

Have a blessed week y'all!


Sister Hudgens