Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Loving 6 hours of Church every Sunday

Zone Pic

Sounds like a pretty nice week.  Speaking of Heidi and Grace starting school again brings back to my mind the fact that I went into the MTC the same day they started school last year.  So I guess it is official, this week I have been out a year!  It is super crazy to think like that.  It makes me feel old.  I am not usually around missionaries that have been out more than a transfer less than me, so when I do see those younger missionaries it makes me feel so old!  I know you don't like to hear it, but I don't want to go home! This is the hardest thing I have ever done in my entire life, but it has been the best thing for me. I love being a missionary!

This week wasn't too exciting. I feel like I have done a lot of driving though!  I am the designated driver since Sister Wahlen has seizures.  Something I found out once I got here!  She never told me when we were in Parkway.  We went on an adventure to find a new map for us to use since the one we have has torn along the folds and is now in two, almost three pieces.  Whenever we do new things or have no idea what we are doing, I call it adventuring.  Makes things sound a little more fun and exciting.  Since we did a lot of driving this week, we also had to do a lot of walking, so we spent most of our afternoons walking around the paths that are everywhere around The Woodlands.

I was able to meet a family that the sisters have been working with for a while.  The mom, Candace, and her children were doing most of the investigating.  Candace is not receiving any support from her husband, family, and friends, so it has been hard for her and she has decided to stop learning more.  She is still super friendly and loves us, but it is too hard without any support.  She loves the Bible and talks about Christ and religion all the time. Hopefully we will get to teach her more when the time is right.

On Wednesday we had a miracle! We were going tracting before dinner and we decided to knock on a few more doors before we went to another area.  The last door we knock on a man answers and tells us he was actually baptized a member when he was 20 living in California.  It was awesome!  We were able to answer a couple of his questions and have a good discussion with him on the porch for about 40 minutes.  We got his contact info and invited him to church.  He didn't come, but we will get him there!  We also went walking along the paths that night (no surprise, we do that almost every evening) and there were two kids coming by on bike.  Sister Wahlen held out some pass along cards with the Salt Lake temple on them and they took them as they rode by.  We then hear behind us, "I got a picture!  What did you get?"  "I don't know, but it looks cool!"  It was so great! We just got to laugh a little bit at their enthusiasm.  Tender mercy of the Lord.

On Friday we had zone meeting and it was awesome!  First they announced a new thing that President Mortensen is trying.  It is called a zone competition.  It is basically like the House Cup tournament in Harry Potter.  We get points based on if we turn in our vehicle reports on time, stay within our miles, obey the rules, have clean apartments, stuff like that.  The zone will be able to see who got how many points, so they will be able to see who is bringing us down, and help each other.  It is to teach us that what we do effects others or something like that.  So basically, I have in my mind the whole time, 50 points for the Woodlands sisters for staying within their miles!  And the Spring Zone wins the house cup!  Not super missionary minded, but really fun!  On Friday we had dinner with a family that knew Brother Rascon growing up.  That was pretty cool.

Sunday was great!  You said you love going to church, well I am lucky enough to have the opportunity to go to 6 hours of church!!!  I love it!  I am just amazed at the spirit I can feel, and even though some of the same lessons are given, how different they all are.  There was a missionary homecoming in the 1st ward and a farewell in the 2nd ward.  The one that came home went 30 minutes over, I have never seen a bishop have to stop someone before and I thought it would be done a lot sooner.  But it was a good talk.  Our investigator came to church in 2nd ward, Shirley.  She is great. She has been investigating for  a long time, but she is finally making progress I think.  What was really cool though was that a family in the ward just came up and invited her over for dinner, it was great.  I just love Sunday!!  And I love being a missionary!


Sister Hudgens