Monday, September 8, 2014

Happy Days Are Back!

I thought the flowers were real....then I stepped on one and realized they weren't


Sounds like a crazy couple of weeks on all fronts.  In our mission, if there are two sets of missionaries in the ward, they are not supposed to eat dinner at the same members house at the same time.  I have often heard that when you get a group of missionaries together, they stop being missionaries.  Something I have also learned is that missionaries aren't perfect. They are just regular 18-23 year old people with a big responsibility and each one treats it with a different level of seriousness.  It is important to remember that we are all representatives of Christ, no matter if we have a badge or not.  In our baptismal covenant we promise to take His name upon us and we renew this covenant each week when we partake of the sacrament.  Sometimes we forget we are His representatives, so it is nice to have that weekly reminder.

Anyways, like I mentioned last week, Tuesday was hard.  I felt bad for Sister Heaps because her first experience as my companion was to see me as a wreck. As long as we kept moving and doing though, I was fine.  So we went out to work and worked hard!  We were able to see one of our investigators in first ward.  It was really good.  She hasn't been taught any of the lessons yet, but we have been sharing different scriptures from the Book of Mormon with her on forgiveness.  She kept thanking us over and over today for it and telling us about all of the things that she had been holding in for so many years.  She has had a very hard life and hearing her just express her thanks for helping her feel the relief of forgiveness was amazing.  It is experiences like that that remind me why I am on a mission.  Seeing the gospel affect and change someone's life, it makes up for all of the long hard days when no one wants to hear what you have to say and you feel like no one even cares you traveled all the way to Texas and put your life on hold to bring them the greatest message in the world that will bring them happiness in this life, and eternal happiness in the life to come.  

Ok, rant over, sorry.  Anyway....we didn't have a dinner appointment so we had a fantastic welcome to The Woodlands dinner at Zoe's Kitchen, this nice little Mediterranean place.  We then quickly went back to work and at 7:30 we met with the elders that were now serving in the 1st ward to go over what the heck was going to happen.  It was good, and hopefully I didn't overwhelm them, but it is not like I really had much idea what was going on anyway.  Afterwards we went to the 1st ward mission leader's home.  I love that family so much and I was so sad to not be able to go over there anymore!   I really needed a blessing though so I asked him if he would do it.  It was very much needed and helped give me the peace and direction that I needed.

At the ranch, gettin' dirty

Wednesday we did service at the horse ranch again.  It was pretty fun.  We got to clean horse paddocks and water plants.  What made it fun though is the people we were with.  It is nice to just work outdoors with my fellow missionaries and get some stuff done.  Then we came home, had some lunch and went out again.  We met with one of the members of the ward who went out teaching with the elders a lot to try and get some information on the people they were teaching.  It was good, he also gave us some ideas on where to start in the ward, I think he could tell I was a little overwhelmed.  It was getting better though!  We tried by a lot of less active members, finding them moved or not at home, and knocked on a lot of doors.  We didn't have a dinner again so we had a great dinner at home and went out again!  It was a good day.  Sister Heaps is great, I love her already!

On Thursday we went to help out at a food pantry, just making bags of food for people to take.  Then we did our weekly planning.  It was intense since Sister Heaps is new to the area and we have to figure out what we are going to do now.  It was good though.  We were able to start the long process of separating the records we have, dividing them between 1st and 2nd ward.   We then had dinner with a Chinese family and they made excellent Chinese food, the real kind (sorry Heidi, no orange chicken).  

We then decided to go to the Relief Society activity because it was a meet and greet, and that is exactly what we needed.  We got there a little early, so we decided to knock on the doors leading up to the home it was being held at.  We confused a lot of sisters because they thought the activity was at the house we were knocking at.  They would start coming up to the door as we would leave.  It was kind of funny.  It was a good activity, we were able to meet a lot of the women and answer some questions for a girl that is leaving for the Salt Lake City South mission in a few months.

Friday was district meeting, I always love district meeting.  It leaves me spiritually recharged and able to make it to Sunday.  We studied and discussed Section 138 of the Doctrine and Covenants on the spirit world and family history.  There is a a lot more emphasis on family history going on in the mission and it is great!  I love family history!  There is a lot of temple work to do in our line, so once you get the baptisms done, feel free to send me the cards so I can do the endowments!  After our meeting we went out again.  We walked around and went to visit people who had previously expressed interest in missionaries before.  We did a lot of walking.  Between Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, I was actually sore!  It was fun though, just to walk around and talk to people and my companion.  

We ate dinner at a park and then went tracting at these apartments we had never been to before.  We got really excited for a moment because there wasn't a gate to the complex.  That excitement quickly turned to disappointment when we realized the individual buildings had gates.  One was open though so that was a miracle.  We then went with a member to try by some people that the previous missionaries were teaching.  It went well and we got a return appointment with one.  We were about to leave when the member thought to ask one of her friends who lived close by if we could stop by and see her.  We weren't able to, but I thought it was awesome that she had the thought to ask.

We had a jam packed Saturday morning.  I got your package!  I was not expecting it.  I was pleasantly surprised to find the note on my door Friday night.  Imagine my surprise when the other sisters in the complex told me that they had received a note that I had a package waiting for me in the office as well.  Dad forgot to put the apartment number on the box.  The apartment office knew that missionaries lived in both apartments, so they put a note on both doors.  I thought it was hilarious.  I thought it was even funnier that Dad but one of his work sweatshirts in the box.  I am not quite sure when he thinks I will use it, but I don't fear the cold right now. It brought a smile to my face though and really lifted me up, as did the letters.  The cards were so cute!  Thank you so much :)  

We tried by a few less active members and tracted before we met with the Relief Society president to see if she knew anyone we needed to pay special attention to.  It was really good, but since she likes to talk, we had to book it to our next appointment.  It was awesome though!  We are teaching a family that the elders were previously teaching.  She is a less active member and he is not a member.  It was a really good lesson though and they seem very committed to reading the Book of Mormon and coming to church, so we will see what happens there.

Sunday was amazing.  One of the best so far.  All of the testimonies were wonderful and so were the lessons.  It was weird to not go to both wards, and it kind of freaked me out a bit.  Didn't know what to do before church.  We actually had time for studies in the morning and to go out tracting a bit.  As we were out walking this kid ran up to us and asked if we would like a drink, holding out two bottles.  It was so sweet!  We thanked him and he ran back to his car and they drove away.  It was only then that we realized he had given us bottles of tea.  The gesture was so sweet though!!  I felt awful just throwing it away, but we had no one to give it to and there was no hesitation in us to obey the Word of Wisdom.  It was the kindest thing though and that little act of love carried me all day.  

After church we tracted a little before going to dinner.  Their daughter was super excited to have someone else that was gluten intolerant at dinner (Sister Heaps is gluten intolerant), since none of her family it.  It was a delicious dinner, made all the better by the fact that it was Fast Sunday.  We then went to Autumn Leaves and sang with the residents.  A member of the ward came and brought his guitar.  He made up a fun little song on the spot without asking the missionaries.  It was a really fun song.  We tracted a little before it got too dark and then visited a member before returning home.  It was a great day.  I am doing so much better now and I am really able to cope with the task that has been set before me.  I am just filled with so much happiness, I have no room to be sad!

Have a happy happy happy week!


Sister Hudgens

This cute little girl drew my picture!  Guess which one is me?
(hint, I have curly hair)