Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas from
Sisters Liljenquist and Hudgens

I love all the pictures you sent.  I especially love the one with Heidi crying where my stocking should be.  I got the letters from Sister Hansen.  I loved all of them!  Thank you so much!  

Monday was good.  We taught seminary in the morning, cleaned, emailed, went shopping, someone took pictures of us in our Christmas sweaters, we had to do something at the mission office, had dinner, she cut my hair a little, and then we had a meeting with the elders.  It was a busy busy day!

Sis Liljenquist
On Tuesday we made treats for our investigators at a member's house.  She is super pregnant and due any day now.  As her husband was walking out the door, he said "If she goes into labor, you have to drive her to the hospital"  We were kind of hoping she would, but she never did.  Darn.  We got lots of treat plates made though!  We made brownies, snicker doodles, and caramel all from scratch.  We then visited a less active and that was good.  We had dinner with a fun family and we laughed and talked a lot.  They invited us over to their house on Christmas to open presents and have breakfast.  It is going to be fun.  We then brought treats to one of our investigators and she loved them.

 


On Wednesday we saw a less active lady and brought her a treat plate.  She really liked the caramel.  She doesn't have any teeth, but she said she could actually chew the caramel.  We then got a call from the Ponderosa sisters.  Sister Bates was sick and had been for a few days, so they asked if one of us could stay with her while the other went with Sister Jeppson to their appointments.  I stayed with Sister Bates.  She slept most of the afternoon.  So what did I do?  I made snowflakes and decorated their apartment.  I didn't have a chance to decorate in the Woodlands, and the apartment was already decorated when I got here, so I needed to have some Christmas cheer.  I also read in my Book of Mormon and wrote in my journal and got to actually cook something for dinner.  It was great.
My awesome snowflake skills!

On Thursday we went to the arboretum and weeded.  Fun stuff.  Also got to have a great discussion about the origins of Christmas.  Look it up.  We then went home and did weekly planning until dinner.  We went to a recent convert's house and as the message, we showed her Mormon messages.  Those are the best!!  My new favorite TV show.  We then tried to track down a few of our people to give them their treats.  We met with a new investigator and she seems pretty solid. She knows her Bible really well though!  I had the hardest time getting out of her complex though!  It was night and a little sketchy, so Sister Liljenquist said that President didn't want her backing when it is dark and sketchy.  So I did a lot of illegal backing.  I went one way and it didn't let out so I had to reverse.  Then I tried the front gate and it wouldn't open, so I had to reverse.  Finally I found the right one!  I felt like a sinner for backing without someone directing me. Things like that make me think I have been a missionary for way too long.  It was fun though.

Friday was Christmas conference!!!  I was so excited!!!  The whole mission was there so I got to see everyone that I love and haven't seen in a while.  We started off with some talks by President and Sister Mortensen and then we watched this Nativity movie.  It was like a real movie and they turned out the lights and it felt like a theater. It felt really weird.  It was a good movie though.  Then we had lunch and I got the letters y'all sent!  They were great!  Thank you so much!  Then we went back to the chapel, watched a slide show of pictures of all the missionaries, had a sing along to various Christmas songs and testimonies from departing missionaries.  They had us sing "I'll be home for Christmas" and "There's no place like home for the holidays".  I just glared at Sister Chappell and was like, "Really?  You are going to make 260 missionaries sing those songs?"  It was fine though.  It was a great conference and then at the end we got our packages. I am waiting for Christmas to open mine, but several missionaries opened theirs already (my companion included).  We were there for almost another hour just talking and socializing. It was kind of weird that President let us.  I think it was his Christmas gift to us.  After the conference we headed home and then finished our weekly planning.

On Saturday was our ward Christmas party.  We had a breakfast with lots of fruit, sweet breads, and breakfast casseroles.  They had a little Nativity program and Sister Liljenquist and I sang "Angels We Have Heard on High" (mostly her, I am not a great singer).  I also got attacked by a table as I was helping to put things away.  A kid dropped a table and it fell on me.  So of course I let out a scream (I wasn't hurt at all), but the guy that was in front of me just laughed at my face.  I am sure it was funny.  

Then we tried by a few people, set an return appointment with an investigator because at the time he was too high to remember anything we would have taught him.  We then made our treat run, delivering treat plates until dinner.  We had dinner at a family's house that was having their Christmas party.  So we all loaded up in a flat bed trailer with a piano and drove around the neighborhood singing carols.  It was fun.  Then we had chili and other goodies before going home.

On Saturday we had ward correlation at our acting ward mission leader's house (he is the assistant, but our official one has Alzheimer's, so the assistant does most of the work).  We had correlation and he made us chocolate chip pancakes. Made me feel like I was back home having pancakes on a Sunday morning.  We then went to church and had a nice Christmas program.  

We had to leave church a little early because we had to meet the Ponderosa sisters again because Sister Bates was still sick. I went with Sister Jeppson to a few appointments.  We read the Book of Mormon with a recent convert and her mom and then we went to see one of their investigators that miscarried her triplets the day before.  We just sat with her and held her while she cried.  She is so strong though!!  She just kept saying that she doesn't blame God and just wants to do His will.  I was amazed.  She was sad of course, but she had so much hope.  It was wonderful.  Then we switched and Sister Liljenquist went with Sister Jeppson so she could go to some appointments.  I just wrote more in my journal and then we went home, and we forgot her phone there.  That was fun.  We didn't have an alarm, but Sister Liljenquist and I were awake at 5:40 anyway, so when 6:30 hit she just made an alarm noise anyway.  Fun stuff.
Merry Christmas! 

Well, I am so excited to talk to y'all on Thursday, but until then, Merry Christmas!


Sister Hudgens