Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Tower of Flour

It's Fall!
I guess I will start with the bad news....I am being transferred tomorrow.  I am so sad!!!  When we got the call last night I cried for a long time.  I couldn't sleep, I hardly want to eat.  I am am so sad that I have to leave The Woodlands!!!  I love it here!!!  I love the members, my investigators, my companion, everything!  I am really going to miss this place.  

I played the musical number at zone conference.  They always have one at those so it is not something they would make special reference to in the Mission Blog.  I played a medley of "I Stand All Amazed" and  "There is a Green Hill Far Away".  I was so nervous and I was shaking terribly, but I managed to play with only a few errors.  Sister Heaps said it was good, but I don't know if I can trust her.

Anyway, last Monday we had a miracle when we went to go vacuum our car. We pulled up to the same place we always go and we see one of our investigator's sons. We go over to say hello and it isn't her with the son, it is her husband!! We hadn't been able to meet him yet and had been working out how we would try and the Lord put him in our path. Moral of the story: Always vacuum your car.  

Flour nose from  losing Flour Tower Game
We then went to the Hulets for dinner and Family Home Evening with them and two of our investigators.  It was a wonderful evening.  Two of  their sons gave the lesson, the 12 year old on the Sabbath day and their son that just came home from his mission taught about obedience.  They were both wonderful and everyone enjoyed it.  After the lesson we played this came called flour tower.  You pack a measuring cup full of flour and then you put it on a plate and put a penny on top.  You then take turns cutting part of the tower away, with the goal to not let the penny fall.  If it does, you have to pick it up with your mouth.  It was fun.  We played a couple rounds and I lost one and had to pick up the penny. It was fun though.

Hulet Family

Tuesday was MLC, a big leadership meeting. So Sister Heaps went to the meeting and I went with another sister for the day.  Sister Nielson and I got to volunteer at a thrift store and go talk to people at a college campus (she is covering a YSA ward).  Nothing too exciting.  When Sister Heaps and I switched back we came home, had some dinner, and went out to work!  We saw a less active member and her son.  We had him draw the armor of God since he likes art and then we talked about it.  It was cute and fun.  We then visited a member and he showed us his cool box maze thing that he uses to explain the veil, guidance, and the purpose of life.  It was pretty neat!

On Wednesday we went to the horse ranch and got to learn how to change out the hay.  It was fun.  You get to tie knots and cut wires and watch the elders do all the hay lifting!  They are good sports.  After PCI we rushed to the church, changed our clothes and then went to go see a lady we haven't seen in a long time with a member.  It was really good to see her and it seemed like she really appreciated the visit.  She is so sweet and I know she will gain a testimony of the gospel some day soon!  We then went back to the church to have our lunch.  We then went to go check out the Church's new website, christmas.mormon.org and the "He is the Gift" video.  It is amazing!!!  Y'all should go check it out and watch the video and share it with everyone!!  Now go, do!  

Afterwards we went to go see one of our investigators.  We still have a problem getting him to understand how going to church is a good thing.  He is ten though, so I know it is hard.  He had a bad experience at another ward and now he never wants to go back.  He just needs time and love.  At dinner I got attacked by a cat and Sister Heaps just watched.  The members had a cat that was 1) swatting at the back of my ankles for half the time and 2) jumped on the back of my chair and started eating my hair.  It is just sitting there, eating me, and no one is doing anything.  I then kind of turn and said, "Hey Sister Heaps, you want to help me out?"  She then quickly removed the cat from my back.  There was no harm done but I thought it was pretty funny my companion would sit there and watch it all happen.  

After dinner we had another miracle.  We just decided that we would go stop by an investigator's home and drop something off.  As we are writing the note he shows up.  He said he had been having a bad day and had just been praying to God for Him to send someone to help him.  We were able to point him to the scriptures and it seemed to work.  It was really awesome :)

Thursday was Turkey Day!  In the morning we went to an animal shelter because a member said they needed some help.  They didn't that day, but they said we could come back on Saturday, do some orientation, and then volunteer whenever.  So we went home and did a little bit of weekly planning before hitting Thanksgiving lunch at two.  It was good food and we were able to have it with two families in the ward and another family from a different ward.  We even managed to avoid dessert!  We went tracting a bit before our dinner appointment at five.  We had it with a family that lives in this super fancy neighborhood that we never go to because you have to pass the armed security and be invited in.  It was a very different atmosphere at this dinner.  Instead of football on in the background, we talked about conversion stories.  The parents and daughter-in-law are all converts, as well as another member that joined us for dinner.  It was a wonderful Spirit.  We talked about the Book of Mormon and different experiences we have had with it. I left there not only with a very full belly, but with a full heart as well.  They sent us home with leftovers, but we gave them to the guard as we went out since he had to be there until 10.  We then went to an investigator's house for 2nd dessert.  Yummy day.

We were still very full of food on Friday.  We had zone meeting in the morning and then afterwards we went to go see a few members.  One was a Russian family that came to church a few weeks ago and introduced their friend to the Church.  Her family was the first to be baptized in their town in Russia and their testimonies and experiences are amazing.   They just love the gospel and want to share it with everyone.  

We had dinner with the Luis and our investigator Ru.  They made us more traditional Chinese food and it was so good.  It wasn't ready when we got there so we got to know her husband better (There is only so much you have time to say when you meet someone at a car wash/vacuum place).  We then ate and had a lesson.  It was amazing.  We taught the Restoration and though Peter was only intending to listen, he was very engaged in the lesson, they both were.  The Spirit was great and they both agreed to be baptized in February.  They are so sincere and strong.  I love them so much!!!!  I have really learned how to love on my mission.  You just have this increased capacity to love and when you think you don't have anymore room for anyone else, you find some.  So even though we ended up being there for four and a half hours, it was still good.

On Saturday we finished weekly planning before going to the animal shelter for orientation.  We learned how to properly handle the animals and then we took some dogs out to a large enclosed grassy area for some exercise.  We look forward to going there each week.  (Or at least we were before I found out I am leaving!)  We then went with one of the Laurels to visit some of our investigators.  After we did some tracting and then we went to our new ward mission leader's house for dinner and our first meeting.  He has so many plans and he is going to be a fantastic ward mission leader!

Sunday was awesome.  We stopped by a less active woman before church, showed her and her husband the "He is the Gift" video and then invited her to church....and she came!  She and her kids came!! It was great!!  Ru and Peter came as well.  I was so happy.  The speakers ended a little early, so Bishop asked a member and Sister Heaps and I to bear out testimonies.  It is amazing how you can go from a great feeling of peace to total anxiety in two seconds.  I am used to bearing my testimony in front of people, just not over a hundred people at the same time.  It was fine though and I think I said something that was good because people said they liked it.  I just said that no matter where you are in your gospel progression, you need to continue to pray about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith in order to continue nourishing your tree of faith and to put your roots deeper in the roots of the gospel.  The rest of church was good.  

We had a great lesson in Relief Society in which lots of people had the opportunity to share tender mercies in their lives.  After church we tracted a bit before going to dinner.  We went to a family's house and she had her parents there.  I saw her dad and thought he looks so familiar.  After asking a few questions I realized that he was my bishop in the singles ward I attended while I was at BYU!  Crazy coincidence.  After dinner we went to a Bishop's Youth Discussion about missionary work.  Two recently returned missionaries spoke and afterwards we went around and talked to the youth about missions as they ate their desserts.  It was a wonderful night.

Well, I am super sad to be leaving The Woodlands, but I guess I am needed somewhere else.  Next time you hear from me I will be somewhere else!!  Got to go pack, bye!


Sister Hudgens