Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Physical Therapy Helps Spread the Gospel?

Bubbles!

This week was really good.  I am happy to have Sister Goodrich as my companion, she is great.  We get along well and have a lot of fun together.  We love to laugh!!  Monday was  a pretty tame day.  We did all of our p-day tasks and then went to the Drexell building and played card games with another set of missionaries.  Then we had dinner at the Davidsons and I had my first meatball sub ever.  It was delicious, with homemade marinara sauce.  We then went to visit a family and they had a non-member friend there.  Poor kid is going to think we are stalking him.  We talked to him at church yesterday, and we saw him again today.  We aren't, I promise!  We then had a lesson with another family we are teaching because their son is turning 8 soon.  It was a pretty good day.

On Tuesday Sister Goodrich started physical therapy.  Her knee caps are too high on her legs and cause her a lot of pain while walking.  The physical therapist is really helping with it though.  Plus we get to talk to a non-member whenever we go!!!  That is at least one every week, which is often more than we usually get to talk to.  We don't run into many people that aren't members.  No one is outside because it is too hot/humid or they have fled for a month.  Seems to be a common theme around these parts.  After the therapist we came home, studied, ate lunch and then went to an appointment with one of our 8 year olds.  We then tried visiting people before dinner, to no avail.  Why is no one home!!!  Don't they know that the missionaries are trying to uplift, encourage, inspire, and bless them?  It is ok though. We find things to do.  We dinner with the Larsens again and afterwards we went home so that Sister Goodrich could do her exercises.  The doctor says she has to do them three times a day, so I make sure she does them.  Then we went to the priest's activity.  We were invited to come and talk about preparing for missions.  It was a good night.

Temple Day
Wednesday we woke up at 4am in order to pick up a set of sisters and get to the temple by 6:30am for a special session with our mission president.  Made for an early morning!  We got to the temple and I realized  that I had forgotten my temple recommend.  Luckily the temple president was able to get it all settled and I could go in.  That would be terrible to go all the way over there so early in the morning for nothing!  We had a session with President and Sister Pingree and a bunch of other missionaries and then afterward we had a special meeting with the temple president in which he explained a few things about the endowment session.  It was a great experience and I hope that I can remember everything I learned!!  We then commenced our travel back to Katy, stopping for lunch along the way.  We then came home and took a little nap.  If I was going to have to function and drive all day, I needed it!  Then we did our studies, and went to dinner at the Kjars (say care).  Brother Kjar likes to smoke meat as a hobby, so we had a really good dinner, then a lesson afterward.  We were able to see a family where the mom is semi-active afterwards and it was a good visit.  A very long and productive day!

On Thursday we visited a few members, volunteered at the food bank, walked around the mall so I could try and introduce Sister Goodrich to our potential investigator and awkwardly ran into the elders (Sister Davis and I always wondered when that would happen), and did our weekly planning, nothing too exciting.  Friday we went to another physical therapy session for Sister Goodrich, had a lunch appointment and a lesson with a member family, and just visited more members.  If you don't realize by now, we visit a lot of members here since we don't have very many places we can go to contact people.  We love the members and encourage them to do member missionary work. If they give us their friends and family to teach about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, then we won't have to bother them all day!  I don't think we are a bother though and I know the members are really trying to help us.  That night after we got home Sister Goodrich sat on her bed and told me her life story and I in turn told her mine.  Good bonding time and we get to find out why each other is the way we are.

On Saturday we helped a part member family move.  My arms are still sore, but it was good.  There were a couple men from the ward there along with the elders and they were all surprised that I was working as hard as I was.  I was not just going to sit there and do nothing!  Of course I was going to help.  We then went home, had lunch and studied, then a member picked us up so that we could go to Conroe for the baptism of three people Sister Goodrich taught in her last ward.  It was really nice.  On the way home the member bought us dinner and we decided to eat outside.  While we were eating we say two guys, Keith and Raul, from our apartment complex that we have talked to about the gospel a little bit.  We didn't even know they were friends!  We had given Raul a Book of Mormon and were following up.  Then Sister Goodrich said that Keith could read it too.  He said he didn't have one, so we ran and got him one and he said he would read it in a week.  I hope he actually does!

Sunday was another missionary farewell. We are going to have a lot of those in the coming months.  Are there any missionaries being called from our ward?  Anyway, the talks were good, and the boy who is leaving was very good at laying it all out for anyone who wants to serve a mission what it was they needed to do. A girl also spoke on the roles of women and it was very good.  The youth in this ward are so strong!  After church we ate lunch, studied, and then went out.  We were able to visit with members, have dinner and then go to the open house/farewell for the soon to be missionary.  Then we stopped at the Claunch home and talked with them for a while.  They always seem to make non-traditional food and Brother Claunch made this really good smelling Chinese food, so we had a little helping for second dinner and it was really good.  First dinner was really good, and so was second.  Sometimes I wish I had two stomachs so I could eat all the delicious food!!  Alas, I don't, so I will just have to be content with portion control.

Have a blessed week y'all!


Sister Hudgens


Had to take a picture- you don't see this on a
license plate souvenir in California



We saw a chicken in one of the neighborhoods in our area.  
I almost hit it because it was crossing the road!!!!  
So now I know why the chicken crossed the road...to get to the bayou!