Monday, November 18, 2013

Everything is Bigger in Texas!


This week hasn't been quite as exciting as last week, but I am not being transferred, which is a huge blessing.  I am so happy that I get to spend the holidays with a ward I already know and love.  They were switching a sister out every transfer in this ward, so I was worried.  Couldn't sleep last night until I found out.  Instead of receiving the transfer text by 10:30 like we usually do, we didn't get it until almost 11.  Very nerve racking.  All calm and happy now though!

This week the Relief Society had a special dinner where one of the stake presidency and his wife came and spoke.  The theme was "What Heaven Sees in You", based on the song that makes everyone cry at Girl's Camp. It was really good.  They showed a video from Dove, called "Real Beauty Sketches" or something like that.  It was really good and I highly recommend you watch it.  It compared how we see ourselves and to how others see us.  We are all a lot more than we think.  Everyone left that activity filled with the Spirit, and we even had an investigator come, super awesome.

This week was also super weird weather wise.  It was freezing the first half of the week.  So cold that Sister Wahlen could barely hold the fork at dinner because her fingers were so cold.  Luckily Sister Canfield had some gloves she was able to give us.  Then the last half of the week it got hot again.  And really humid.  Texas weather is weird.

The Primary Program was this week in my ward too.  Never before have I felt like crying during the Primary Program.  Just so y'all know, there is little over a hundred primary kids in my ward.  They all had short parts and sang loud and proud.  Hearing them sing "I Am a Child of God" just testified to me that I am a child of God.  He loves me, and He loves all of His children.  
Later that day we went to a member in the ward to discuss one of our investigators that we met with this week, Chip.  Chip knows more about Church history and read almost everything put out by prophets and the Church that is out there.  He has so much knowledge about the Church, but understands so little of it.  He won't pray about it to receive his own confirmation from God.  Brother Hammer has similar knowledge about the Church, has read many church books as well.  But there is one vital difference: he has prayed about it.  Brother Hammer shared his testimony of Christ with us, just wept as he thought about the Atonement and what it means to him.  It made me realize something about myself.  I may not have the most knowledge about the Church, but I have a testimony that Christ lives and in His Atonement.  I know that God loves me and that I can return to live with him again as I use the enabling power of the Atonement and do my best to become more comfortable in God's presence.

I have officially been in Texas three months now, so let me share a few things I have learned:  A lot of things really are bigger in Texas.  Some examples; food, bugs, me, rain, bugs, religion, my testimony, sky, clouds, storms, thunder, houses, changes in weather, cars, and families, to name a few.  Some things that are smaller; my skirts choices, the roads, hills (almost non existent).  My testimony has grown the most though.  I have studied harder, prayed with more sincerity and more often, and born my testimony more than I ever have before.  And it has only been 3 months!!!  Imagine how much I will grow in the next 15?

New finding idea.  Went to the park to try it out, haven't found much success yet, but we will find something that works

Sister Hudgens