Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Halloween & Hogwarts

Sounds like you had an exciting and full week!  We had a great week!  We finally found some people to teach.  More like they were found for us, but I will take it!  
Adventure time!
The Spanish sisters found a nice couple and we went to see them this week.  We get there, knock on the door, and a man answers the door and immediately says "Hi!  You're awesome!!  How can I help you?" I was shocked and it took a moment to recover.  He then proceeded to tell us his life story saying that if you don't open up to others, you can't expect them to open up to you.  We had a great conversation with him and set a return appointment.  I am so excited to teach him and his wife!  Our bishop also found a great person for us to teach.  She isn't interested in converting, but she wants to feed us, so we will see. She doesn't understand how persistent we can be!! 


I dont know if you can see how much rain that is, 
but it is a lot.  
And we helped someone move that day
It rained  a lot this week (it rains a lot in general this time of year I guess).  On Halloween I was awoken to the sound of thunder rending the air, rain pounding our window, and flashes of lightning illuminating the room.  I have never understood why people were afraid of thunder storms, but now I understand.  I was a little frightened.  Even more when I contemplated how we had planned on moving a part member/less active family in that day!  Sis. Wahlen and I prayed about it though and we both got an overwhelming answer.  "Go" was repeated in my head repeatedly and Sis. Wahlen had a similar experience. So we went.  
The roads were on the verge of flooding, but were not there quite yet.  We get there and the Klein elders were already there helping with the heavy lifting.  We kind of felt in the way, so we went inside and chatted with the wife, who isn't a member.  Eventually some of the heavy stuff was moved out of the way and we were able to help.  I had to be very careful on the ramp since it was wet with rain.  We all know how easily I fall!!  It was a good experience though and I am glad we went.  We didn't even get soaked!  Plus we got lunch out of it, so all is well.

I learned how to reupholster chairs this week.  Ever since I got to Parkway, we have gone to a member's house to help her with 10 dining room chairs she bought from an old hotel.  So, since my first week, we have sanded, primed, undercoated, over-coated, and reupholstered her chairs.  I will have to get some before and after pictures for you!  I never thought this would be a skill I would learn on my mission, but it was fun and we usually got lunch out of it, so it was all good.  
Missionaries customize their planners, so this is my current one on the left and the one I made for next transfer on the right! I loved Grace's pictures so much I thought they would look great on my planner

It is so cold now!!!  
Ok I didn't really wear the coat, but you get the picture
So this was a milestone week, I finished my first journal ever.  I am very pleased with myself, seeing as how I have never written in one for more than two days before.  It has also been kind of cold.  I have actually worn long sleeves and tights and wished I had gloves.  Only to ride my bike though, otherwise gloves would be a bit much.  It gets dark at like 6 now though, so that is a little rough.

Me & Sis Canfield on Halloween!
Halloween was fun.  We had to be in by 6:30 unless we had a meaningful appointment.  We had dinner with the Malo family that evening and Sis. Malo went all out.  She had a Halloween table cloth, cups with plastic eyeballs in them, a rat on my chair, and a Halloween themed menu.  She even gave us a little goodie bag full of candy.  She was so nice.  We went home after and I sat on the porch with Sis. Canfield and passed out candy and pass along cards with her. It was probably the best Halloween I have had in a long time.

I got a fantastic package from Phil this week that was Harry Potter themed. This reaffirms my thoughts that I have the best friends ever.  I also got a candy laden package from Denise that was great.  Though I looked kind of funny biking from the mail box to our house with these two awkward packages balanced as I biked.  I almost fell off.  Sis. Wahlen did fall off her bike this week.  It was not a great biking week for her. She fell off her bike and ripped her skirt as we crossed a stream and the railroad tracks in order to get into a neighborhood.  She has a great attitude about it though which I admire. 
I have pretzels & frosting and Sis Wahlen has chips & salsa.  What a pair!


I few weeks ago I hit 8 weeks and Sis. Wahlen hit 8 months!   
It was a momentous occasion!
(or moths if the sign is right?- comment added by Tracy).  



Last night we had one of the funniest dinners in my whole life.  Bro. Mclane is just funny in general.  He just talks and talks, but he has a good heart and is one of our ward missionaries.  As we were leaving (half an hour late), Sis. Mclane said she wanted to take us to get mani-pedis (we all know howmuch I love getting my nails done) and her husband almost jumped out of his chair.  He screamed "Mani-pedi Mondays!!  The missionaries can do mani-pedi Mondays with the non-members!!!"  We all just laughed and laughed.  We will see if we actually do it though.

Well I hope that everyone is doing well and is remembering the Lord everyday, leaving their heart open to the promptings of the Holy Ghost.

Love,
 Sister Hudgens






Phil got creative...













And more creative!





Elder Bladh was really into pumpkin carving
Elder Bladh made a face to match my pumpkin!



We did pumpkin carving for p-day last week

I gave Elder Nyenmyer my camera, 
that may have been a mistake. 
 He took lots of pictures!

Pumpkin time!

Sis. Wahlen made the hole really small, 
so her hand has to squeeze in there