Monday, November 11, 2013

Look Mom, No Hands!

Look Mom, No Hands!
 
I will answer your questions first and then get to the rest of the email.  Thanksgiving.  I am sure I will have my fill of pumpkin pie and the such.  We find out about transfers next week, but if I don't leave the area we have two Thanksgivings on our calender!  I know DearElder has package ideas, and I am really bad at thinking of stuff.   I am running out of stamps too.  
 
We usually have a pretty full dinner calender here in Parkway so we rarely cook.  If we do have to make dinner for ourselves, I am usually the one to do it.  I did learn something while I was at BYU!  Usually we eat lunch at home (I eat a lot of quesadillas), but on Tuesdays a less active member feeds us.  We get up at 6:30, exercise, eat, shower, do personal and companion study, some days we do training (on my last week of training!), find a craft or do a finding activity, then we eat lunch and head out!  It is amazing how much you can get done before noon.  On Mondays we go to Sister McQuay's house to email and she takes us grocery shopping afterwards.  The life of a missionary is so exciting!

It sounds like you are all having a fun week and I am glad the girls are enjoying water polo. I am also happy to see all of the help in the missionary effort.  I bet the missionaries are well fed every night.  Don't feel like you have to feed them dessert every night or a feast, often times I am overstuffed full of food. I often yearn for more vegetables at meals.  Weird right?  
 
I am so glad that you are inviting people to things.  That is all it takes!  Opening our mouths is where success is, not in their accepting.  We can't control how other people will exercise their agency, but we can control how we exercise ours! 

Carrying Bike Over the Train
This was kind of an exciting week with all sorts of crazy experiences.  On Monday we decided to bike to the church building for P-Day.  We were tired of trying to find a ride and bothering people so we took things into our own hands.  Took us under a half hour.  P-Day wasn't too exciting, we played a little volleyball and sat around and chatted.  Reminded me that while we are missionaries, we are still barely more than teenagers.  On the way home there was a train stopped on the tracks.  Dinner was only 20 minutes away so we decided instantly do lift our bikes over the gap in the train cars.  We had no sooner finished and taken some awesome pictures then the train started to move.  In hindsight, that may not have been the best idea, but we didn't want to be late.

Hidden Knives
On Tuesday we met a very interesting guy while tracting.  He lost his tongue to tongue cancer (at lest that is what I understood) and he was hard to understand.  He was very concerned for our safety though.  So he went into his garage and Sister Wahlen and I knives.  They are these little  knives that you can wear around your necks and he told us to put them on and keep them secret.  So we each got a knife from a guy with no tongue. Weirdest story ever.  
 
We then walked to another street to tract some more and we met this other guy.  He asked us what we believe and we taught him the Restoration right there in the street and we exchanged numbers so we could set up another appointment.  Later he texted us and we realized that he was hitting on us.  Needless to say we decided we would probably not be the best missionaries to teach him the second lesson.  We will just have to send the elders to him.

We had a specialized training on conversion this week.  President Pingree talked for three hours on it and it was really good.  Our goal as missionaries isn't to merely get people baptized and give them a testimony, but to help the to become truly converted to the gospel so that when life is hard they will not fall away.  Just like in Helaman 5:12, we must build our foundation on the rock of Jesus Christ so that when Satan sends all of his influence and power against us, we will not fall.

We had some fun member experiences as well.  We had dinner with this family that is vegan, and I was a little concerned at first.  I wasn't quite sure what they were going to feed us.  But it was really good and I enjoyed it.  They feed us this chocolate pie that was really good. I asked her what was in it since she didn't do sugar or milk or anything.  She wouldn't tell me until after I finished eating it....When I was done I asked again and she said it was coco powder, dates, and...drum roll....avocado!  It was delicious and I was surprised.  It didn't taste like avocado.  We also visited the Neciosup family.  The father is from Peru and the mother from Russia, and they are an interesting and fun family.  I enjoyed talking with them and asking them how a Peruvian and a Russian met, got married and moved to Texas!  It was pretty cool.

Since there are a lot of Hispanic people here I have been trying to brush up on my Spanish. I am doing pretty good, I can do a door approach and understand most of it.  I am now trying to teach Sister Wahlen and she is trying.  It is a little rough, but she is getting there.  

Happy Sisters


Keep being awesome and I love you all.  Don't send any letters until I know if I am going to be transferred though, I don't want to miss them!  Though it takes about 2-3 days for letters to get here so if you can do math, go for it.

Sister Hudgens