Friday, February 28, 2014

Bike Wannabe and Smurfs



I really want to ride a bike again and this is the best that I can do!

Sounds like you had a busy week like always.  I can understand how being out and about and interacting with lots of people is hard and exhausting.  It is one of the hardest parts about being on a mission for me. I am not the most sociable of people and it is hard for me to keep conversations going and especially to start it.  We had a couple of P-Days in a row where we didn't have time to just relax and we were with members the whole time and I felt physically spent. Sometimes I just need a little time off from being a missionary.  To not be Sister Hudgens for a moment and be Holly for a little while.  It isn't usually long, but I do get it every once in a while!  

I love being a missionary but it is hard!!  I don't know what I thought of missionaries before, but it was something like they were spiritual giants and these amazing people, but now that I am a missionary I realize that putting on a name tag doesn't make you all those things.  Being a missionary is lots of preparation, prayer, a little bit of winging it and lot of reliance on the Lord! 

I know not everyone is able to focus on the Lord as much as we are able to everyday because this is our full time job right now.  I do know though that there are ways to bring the Lord into our lives everyday.  I know you and many others are busy.  Lots of members listen to the scriptures or conference talks on their way to work.  Did you know your phone will play them directly from the gospel library app?  

Life is stressful, but Heavenly Father knows.  I encourage you to read Mosiah 24.  The Lord won't take our burdens away, but he will make our backs stronger.  

Has Kari asked for a priesthood blessing?  I know you say she is on the mend but I know that it will help her not only physically, but mentally, emotionally and spiritually.  The gospel is such a blessing in all of our lives.  It is a way to focus on things that matter most.  

We had stake conference this weekend and one of the counselors gave a great talk about focusing our lives on the things that matter most.  The Savior made time to suffer the children to come unto Him when the apostles said he was too busy.  He tarried a little longer after appearing to the Nephites to heal their sick and bless their little ones.  We have to take time for the little things that will make a big difference in our lives. I can't promise that your schedule or your situation will resolve itself with a wave of a magic wand, but I can promise you that as you offer up your heart to our Father in Heaven and express what is weighing you down, he will invite you to take His yoke upon you. "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30).  I hope you don't find this preachy or that I am telling you what to do.  I just know that it works.  I love you and want you to be happy.  That is why I am on a mission, to share this great plan of happiness that a kind and loving Heavenly Father has prepared for His children.


I guess I will end that and let you know how I am doing.  This week has been long and busy, yet fast.  We did a lot of walking this week to conserve miles.  We knew we would be driving to the church a lot since it was stake conference.  Stake conference was so great!  This Saturday session was all about 
Sis Davis matches the smurf themed fire hydrant
hastening the work of salvation and we had many great speakers.  They had converts and the ones who had introduced them to the gospel tell their stories, a recently returned missionary who was authorized to use the internet for proselyting tell us how its done and what the members can do to help, and President Pingree spoke as well.  They all spoke about the power of the everyday missionary and how we can bring others unto Christ through small and simple means.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.   The Sunday session was similar and these two nine year old girls spoke.  I was very impressed!  They didn't seem nervous at all and they did an excellent job.  You are never to young to share the gospel!


 

I hope the next week is better and that you will be able to find rest unto your soul even though life is running crazy around you.

 

Sister Hudgens
 

Pine Mill ranch is now in my area- the windmill is cool!