Saturday, February 14, 2015

Countdown Begins

Kind of an uneventful week.

Monday we didn't do much.  We went with a new elder to Chick-fil-a for his first time.  He is from New Zealand and they don't have those there.  Sister Liljenquist loves that place, so she said he had to go.  She videoed it.  He ended up eating two chicken sandwiches and 16 nuggets.  That is a lot of food!  We did our errands and then went to the church to hang out and write letters.  Two of the elders then started to teach a group of us how to stomp.  I will get it down by the time I go home so I can show off my mad skills.  We then had dinner with a member at a delicious pizza place and went out tracting for a bit before going home because Sister Liljenquist wasn't feeling well.  She has been sick off and on for like the whole time we have been companions.  Sometimes she is just so exhausted she falls asleep while I am driving or when she is talking to people she can hardly remember the name of the church.  Then I have to take her home and let her sleep for a little bit before we can go out again.

Thought this was funny that even pregnant
 dogs have their cravings
On Tuesday we met with the bishop to discuss what the high councilman said on Sunday.  We had no idea what he meant and thought the Bishop would have more of an idea.  He had some homemade bread in the oven and told us to stick around for a slice.  His wife then made us some PB&J on fresh bread and then sent us home with a loaf.  Then we went to check on some people.  Sister Liljenquist was then almost passed out while we were driving so I took her home.  

We then had a good lesson with the Mirandas.  We told Sister Miranda that we were going home in a few weeks, and then when we left she started crying because she was going to miss us.  Broke my heart!!  I love her and her family so much!!  She is afraid we will forget her, but she doesn't understand.   There is no way we will forget her, or any of the people that mean so much to us. We promised to keep in touch and then we went to dinner.  We had the most delicious dinner I have had in a long time, and committed the less active son to read the Book of Mormon.

Wednesday we saw our dear friend Betty.  Her daughter came over in the middle of our visit and dropped off her kids.  They are funny.  We asked the three year old boy what his favorite color was and he said, "Bunderkats".  The Betty said, "That's a movie, what is your favorite color?", to which he responded "2".  It was pretty funny.  

We went home, had some lunch, and then went with Michelle to visit some potentials.  We got out of the car to visit one lady and a car drove up and said "You girls the Mormons?"  It was Angelo, "the only black Angelo you will ever meet" as he told us last time we met.  He knows/works with a few members of our ward and has had some contact with the church.  He said we could come talk with him if we could answer his question.  He told us and we said we would get back to him.  The lady we came to visit wasn't home, so we went to go visit some recent converts.   We got them all started on family history.  Tiffany was totally hooked and was going to town on it; calling people, asking questions, looking people up.  It was awesome.  

We then went to dinner and went out tracting.  A few doors in we meet this lady and she invited us in.  We were able to teach her the Restoration.  Interesting thing though, she sees visions.  I am just hoping that she gets one that says that the Book of Mormon is true.  We then went to the church to be moral support for Sister Miranda as she went in for her temple recommend interview.  She brought her whole family and Sister Liljenquist talked to her 7 year old daughter, I talked to her husband, and the other two girls played up and down the hallway.  I got to know her husband well and have come to the conclusion that he is not ready to take the lessons yet, but he is getting there.  He is great though.  He is very supportive of his family and a great dad.  Sister Miranda came out an hour later, temple recommend in hand.  We are excited to go with her in the next week.

There are family connections everywhere!
On Thursday morning we took a shift at the Peanut Butter factory.  It was fun.  I got to meet Amy's ex-sister in law.  All the volunteers were just hanging around and they were asking us where we are from.  I said I am from Southern California and she said her ex-sister in law was a Hudgens form Riverside.  Got to talking and realized that she is Amy's first husband's sister.  Small world.  She was nice.  The factory was just getting started, so it took a while to get the machines working.  My job was to wipe all of the lids if they had any excess peanut butter.  Not a very exciting job.  We got to go home with delicious peanut butter though!!  We then went home, weekly planned, met with the elders to coordinate some work, had dinner with a fun family, and then got our 15 itls.

Friday was district meeting and that was fun.  After lunch we went to go check on an investigator.  We go to the complex and the gate is closed!! That has never happened before.  So we went to the next gate and got in.  We parked and got out and saw one of our members walking around outside.  We stopped and talked to him.  Turns out he just got news that one of his friends that was in the military with him died while he was deployed a few days ago.  He was kind of sad, as one would expect, so we did our best to cheer him up.  We read from the scriptures with him.  Then another member walked up and we talked to her.  Turns out the person that we wanted to see wasn't home, but it worked out how it needed to.  We visited a member, then we worked through without dinner to get our itls.  That is how I knew Sister Liljenquist wasn't feeling well.  She just wanted to get the 15, go home, eat, and sleep.  So we did that.

On Saturday we tried church tracting.  President Mortensen said that Ammon and the sons of Mosiah went from house to house and from church to church, so we are to go to churches and offer to do service with them.  So we tried it.  We were terrified!!!!  We kept making jokes like, "What are they going to do?  Cast stones at us?"  We tried this big church and walked in as the band was practicing in the chapel.  We were so nervous and lost!!  It was huge!!!  We finally found where to go and realized that the office was closed.  We tried another church and it was closed and realized this probably wasn't the best idea.  

We stopped by a member's house.  Their red headed 14 year old daughter was sitting on the couch and looked just like Heidi.  Made me realize how much I miss her.  Love you Heidi!  Then we started heading home for lunch.  We drove by the bishop's house and waved to him as he was doing yard work with his son.  Then we get a call from him telling us to turn around, that his wife was talking to one of their friends in the drive way.  So we did and visited with them.  Then we had lunch at this delicious Greek family owned restaurant, visited people, and then went to dinner with a member.  We were both so full of food it was almost painful.  We visited more people and tracted and then went home.

Sunday was interesting.  The high councilman who came to our ward correlation last week came to our ward council this week and talked about the same thing.  That was good, and I think that a lot of good work was done.  Then we went out to find our investigators to make sure they would come to church, showing up at their houses half an hour before church.  None of them came though they said they would.  During second hour we went out to find them!  We found the Mirandas at home and talked with them a bit and encouraged them to come next week. We called and texted other people to find them and went back to church in time for Relief Society.  It was a good lesson about choice.  Started out with the sister passing around a bowl full of all sorts of treats; chocolate, fruit, veggies, and such, and asked us to pick one.  Be proud of me, I picked the fruit.  Sister Liljenquist and I have decided to do a "Two weeks to not as fat as you were two weeks ago" program.  Basically it means we will actually go to the gym in the morning and make better choices.  Then we decorated a cake for a recent convert who reached his year mark of being a member of the church today.  I call it his REbirthday.  We had dinner at his house and celebrated one year of being awesome.

Well, that is all, and I love being a missionary, but I am getting excited to see all y'all.  Love you and have a blessed week!!!

Sister Hudgens

Delicious food from last week when we surprised the host by
 actually coming back over for his BBQ