Monday, April 14, 2014

Spiritual Week


Area Training

In response to last Monday's adventures.  Didn't actually kill any myself, but a shot at them, and that is what was fun.  The elders and the member we were with did most of the actual hunting part.  The blond elder is Elder Thomas and he has been in my district since I got out and my district leader since my 2nd transfer, so that is probably why he looks familiar.

Sisters in Area
This week was super crazy!!!!  So much stuff packed into one week. On Wednesday we had interviews and specialized training. It was really good.  We have a new AP (assistant to the president) and he is hilarious.  He served in our zone so he was able to make lots of jokes and they kept it lively.  We did an exercise where we switched area books with another companionship and planned our day.  It was good because we got to see how other missionaries keep records and if we are keeping our records up to date enough that if we both left someone else would know what is going on.  

In my interview with President I almost cried.  That man is amazing, we just has the Spirit with him so strongly and he always knows just what to say. I have been reflecting on my missionary work the past few weeks because I am coming up on half way, and I have had feelings of doubt as to what I have actually been able to accomplish.  I haven't had any baptisms or reactivations. No one I have taught has progressed and I have felt like I haven't done much.  I know numbers don't matter, but it is hard to not look at them.  I know I have worked a lot with members and have helped build and strengthen the kingdom of God that way, but that is not what I expected as a missionary. 

Someone has to plant seeds, and I don't mind, but I wouldn't mind reaping every now and then!!  I expressed my concern to President Pingree and he just said that he feels like the Lord is pleased with what I am doing here.  I almost cried.  He then thanked me for being a low-maintenance missionary. Guess I don't cause a lot of problems.  I am grateful for President though.  Even though our interviews have to be kept to 5 minutes, I am always happy at the end of them.

After Interviews we had dinner at our ward mission leader's house.  His wife said could update Sister Davis' GPS so we left it with her.  We needed it updated because half of our area doesn't show up and it is really annoying.  We thought we would be ok without it, but turns out we don't know the area as well as we thought.  We wandered around lost for probably 20 minutes looking for a house we needed to stop at, finding it becoming all the more urgent since Sister Davis really need to find a bathroom.  We were about to give up when thankfully we found it.  We will not get lost going there again!!!

Car within a car!
On Thursday we went to pick up some toys at this woman's, Teri, house.  She is the neighbor of one of our members who recently moved, the Atkinsons and before she left, they gave her a Book of Mormon.  Only thing is, we didn't know exactly which house was hers and we had never been introduced.  We had been looking for a reason to stop by when we were told that the Atkinsons had left some toys there and that we could pick them up and bring them to another member's house.  So we went and unfortunately she wasn't home.  So then we began the difficult process of trying to shove a little slide, plastic red and yellow car, and a chair into our little Chevy Cruze. Made me miss my truck.  We looked quite ridiculous trying to shove everything into the car and looked all the more when Teri drove up as we were trying to maneuver the slide into the back of our car.  We told her that it was not all going to fit and that we would be back for the rest.  We just had to laugh about the whole thing.

On Friday we knocked on a member's door, the first one all day, and Sister Davis broke/ chipped/ bruised/messed up her knuckle.  We have no idea what happened and she didn't even knock that hard. It was pretty funny though. We just kept saying that she punched me. It is all better now though, so don't worry about it.

Saturday was the Katy Music Extravaganza II, a celebration of music from members of the Katy community, not just the LDS community.  It was pretty cool and we had two artists display their work before the show started.  One was a member from the Sealy branch, Ken Turner.  He has got some amazing stuff.  The other was a neighbor of one of our members, Miguel Rubio. He has some really good stuff too.  We stood at the entrance and handed out programs and then got to sit back and enjoy the music.  One of our investigators came so it was good. Not many others though.  I had fun though so that is good!

Sunday was the most amazing day of my mission so far!!  So many miracles!!!!!!  We got to meet with everyone of our investigators yesterday.  We taught Joe and Julia, our Chinese investigators, during Gospel Principles.  We taught them the Plan of Salvation and they were asking just the right questions!!  It was amazing and we didn't have time to get through the whole lesson because there was so much and Brother Ong had to stop us and explain a bit in Chinese.  Julia was on the edge of her seat the whole time.  

After church we taught Rucker, our 17 year old investigator.  We taught him the Plan of Salvation as well and he asked lots of questions and I can tell that he and his friend who introduced him to the gospel learned a lot.  After Rucker, we headed to have our first teaching appointment with Lori Jackson and her daughter Madeline.  Lori is a member of the Katy Mills ward recently returning to activity and wants her daughter to have the lessons.  She also wants to hear them again since it has been so long.  They were both completely engrossed in what we were saying.  When we asked Madeline what she felt when she went to church she described it has a happy, warm, peaceful feeling.  It was so great to hear that.  I have high hope for her!!!  

Then we went to dinner with the Hartz family.  They are so good to us.  We were low on miles so after dinner we decided to walk to various members that lived in the area.  That is when we met Christopher from Nigeria.  We were walking because we were low on miles and we see this guy walking around talking on the phone.  Sister Davis looks over and says, "He looks lost", and then the next thing he says is "I am lost".  We 
Companionship
immediately cross the street and offer our assistance.  We look up the address he is looking for and introduce ourselves.  He sees the name  of Christ on our tags and asks, "You believe in Christ?"  Of course!  We talk in the street for the next half hour and share three Book of Mormon stories that relate to him and his problems.  

He asked why bad things happen to good people, we share the burning of the saints in Ammonihah; he asks what he can do when he feels like he is being forced to hide his light, we share the people of Alma being oppressed by Amulon and their prayers to receive strength to change their situation rather than having their situation changed; he complains about the corruptness of his country's government, we share how the Gadianton robbers took over the Nephite government.  It was amazing, and at the end he said he felt like he had met two angels.  He wouldn't take a Book of Mormon or accept an invitation to go to church, but he said he would look at momon.org and asked if he could call us again.  I hope he does!!

This has been a week just jam packed full of miracles!!  It makes me so happy :)
Hope all is well back home!!!

Sister Hudgens