Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Wedding Planning and Death Defying Bunny


Modeling our gifts-- rodeo caps


I got your Easter package last Monday after I finished emailing.  So I did get it and I loved it.  The chocolate pretzels were delicious and are almost gone.  I was shocked at the mascara and figure Heidi probably thought she was pretty funny.  

I was very surprised to get an email from Shad last week telling me that he was meeting with the missionaries and that my blog was the inspiration for it. I was a little confused because I thought that he was already a member, and then I thought about it and couldn't remember.  It did make me really happy though.  I didn't think my emails home had much testimony in them, just a lot of awkward stories about my missionary life.  

Grandma told me about Dylan and his family.  Makes me sad, but I hope that there will be something good to come out of it. 

 It is exciting to hear about all the work that is going forth in our ward though!!  I saw on lds.org that our ward has a set of elders, a set of sister, and a senior couple, work must be moving really well!

This week was pretty good.  On Monday we went to the chiropractor again.  We went last Saturday and that fixed Sister Davis's headache, but her back has been hurting so we went again last Monday and are going again today.  She is doing a lot better, but the sooner I am able to drive, the better I think.  I can drive, just need to get authorized!  After finishing all of our errands we went to the church with our district.  it was pretty low key, I played Lord of the Rings monopoly with Elders Larsen, Petersen and Thomas. I was the last to go bankrupt, so I guess I did pretty good!

I have had more lasagna in this area than in my entire life.  Had it twice this week, and we usually have it at least once a week.  I have decided that if I never have lasagna again I will be happy.  I am not a fan.

On Tuesday night we went to mutual with the Young Women since our meeting was canceled and everyone was at the church anyway.  Super awkward, they were having a night on marriage.  All the girls brought little pictures to decorate a folder and put little handouts in.  Then they had this little object lesson to do with a cupcake and how you need the cake and the frosting.  So they had all the girls fill out a list of what kind of "cake" and "frosting" they wanted their future husband to have.  Then they made us do it too. Super awkward.  Here are the sister missionaries, filling out all of the cake with some really good stuff and then most of the Young Women were having a hard time thinking of anything but frosting.  We felt weird thinking of that stuff so we saved it for when we got home later.  

The leaders also passed around a paper where you planned some things for your future like your wedding, kids, etc...Sister Davis and I filled it out for each other.  Apparently my wedding colors are going to be navy blue and silver and I am going to have beta fish as center pieces.  All beta fish not given away are going to fight to the death and bets will be placed to help pay for the honeymoon.

On Friday we had our last district meeting together. Next Friday is zone meeting and then that Tuesday the 6th is transfers.  We fully expect change in our district since there was no change last time.  I don't feel like my companionship is changing, but you never know.  We had a testimony meeting when we were done and it was really nice. I like hearing the missionaries testimonies.  Having the opportunity to bear my own also helps me. Helps me strengthen my own testimony by saying it outloud.  Guess that is why we have testimony meetings once a month!  

Also saw a bunny almost ran over by a car.  We were stopping by some members and they weren't home. We were getting ready to pull away from the curb when we saw some bunnies.  We paused to marvel at the adorableness, how they crossed the road and such, when this car zooms past us!  One of the rabbits was in the process of crossing the road and zig zagged under the car to avoid being road kill, narrowly missing the back wheel.  Sister Davis, myself, and the kids playing in the yard across the street all paused and gasped, looking to see if the rabbit was ok.  It was, and all was well, but it was a crazy few seconds!

On Saturday we decided it was going to be a power day. We set a goal to see 8 members that day.  We almost reached our goal too!  We had a lesson with Madeline and it went really well.  We taught the Plan of Salvation and the Spirit was strong.  When it came to the Atonement, I felt like I had to ask how knowing what Jesus Christ did for her made her feel.  This opened up some amazing discussion of the Atonement.  She said she felt guilty knowing that Christ went through all that pain for her.  Her mother who is recently becoming reactivated felt the same. We explained that He did it because he loves us.  He already paid the price so we don't have to carry the burdens of our sins, trials, sorrows all on our own. 

The worst thing we could do is to not use this amazing gift He has given us.  That would be like someone buying you a present and then paying the cashier for it again.  There is no point, the price has already been paid.  We show our appreciation for the Atonement by using it everyday.  Not just for a remission of our sins, but to strengthen and enable us to change and become the person that we Christ would have us be.  I feel so strongly about this.  

A few weeks ago President Pingree challenged all of us to read the Book of Mormon by the end of June, highlighting the strengthening and enabling  power of the Atonement.  It is amazing!  I have already seen so many examples, so many ways I can use the Atonement to help me in my life, and to help others.  I encourage all of you to find a clean, paper back copy of the Book of Mormon and to do the same. It is amazing how your testimony can and will be strengthened.  The Book of Mormon truly is another testament of Jesus Christ.  While taking President's challenge, I have also been highlighting whenever it says Christ, God, the Lord, etc.  On every page, multiple times, it talks of God or Christ.  Their commandments, miracles, tender mercies, and help. It is all there on hundreds of occasions.

Sunday was really good.  Sister Davis and I were asked to speak on the ward mission and how to be member missionaries for the missionary farewell of one of the youth who leaves for his mission in two weeks.  It was a really good experience.  Probably the most prepared for a talk I have been in my whole life. Got the assignment on Monday when we went to a member of the bishopric's house for dinner and it was done by Wednesday.  I wanted to get up on the stand and cry repentance to the people, instead I just talked about love.  When we love God and love our neighbor, we are going to share the gospel.  We share the gospel out of love, not because we want more members.  The gospel of Jesus Christ helps us to feel God's love by knowing His plan for us.  That is what the gospel is all about: love.  

We were also able to teach our Chinese investigator couple during Sunday School.  They are really getting into it.  Julia sits on the edge of her chair the whole time.  Joe said that the Plan of Salvation makes sense. We are so relieved!!  We would be in a huge dilemma though if we didn't have the Ongs, a couple in the ward who are from Asia and speak Chinese.  We teach Joe and Julia in English and then the Ongs translate into Chinese to help them understand it better.  Joe and Julia speak English,, but it is always easier to understand in your native tongue. 

We were able to have dinner with a part member family yesterday as well.  She isn't a member, but loves the missionaries. She said herself that she is more Mormon than most Mormons, but loves being Catholic.  One day she will realize what she is missing, but for now we will just keep going over and bringing the Spirit with us. She is a great lady though, and we love her.  

After dinner we went to see the Sundwalls.  They are a pretty fun family as well.  Their 15-year old son has decided to stop coming to church, so they really like it when we go over.  Their son thinks we are awesome, and we always share a message.  We just let him know that God loves him no matter what. It is true, there is nothing that can seperate us from God's love.It is important for everyone to know that, no matter who they are.

Well, have blessed week and be thankful you are missing out on the rising humidity!

Sister Hudgens