Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Easter & Awkward Visits

Easter Eggs

Sounds like you had a really busy week!!  I am glad that you were able to go to the baptism.  Since being on my mission I have discovered a few things.  I really like the Gospel Principles class.  It is way better than the Gospel Doctrine class.  If we don't have investigators at church and the teachers aren't there/we don't have a place to meet (we hold class in the bishop's office, our ward takes up every room in the building), we go to the Gospel Doctrine class.  I highly recommend going to the Gospel Principles class.  It is such a wonderful spirit.  

Also, holidays are so awkward!!!  In the missionary handbook it says it is the best time to find people because they are with their families and at home. Lies!!!!!  It is the worst because everyone is with their families doing family things and then we come along and interrupt things and make them awkward.  

Had three more awkward experiences yesterday. First was dinner.  A family we haven't met invited us over for dinner because they were inviting their non-member Realtor over for Easter dinner. Sweet!  We get there and two more families from the ward we hadn't met yet came too.  Super awkward, especially as neither Sister Davis or I are particularly social.  We try, but its rough sometimes.  So we were there for three hours, feeling awkward and listening to their rich people problems, it was kind of ridiculous.  I was trying not to judge, but it was kind of funny.  We shared the video "Because of Him" after dinner and the Spirit was so strong!!!  Sister Davis and I felt it strong and I almost cried through the whole thing. Afterward we bore our testimonies of Christ and His Atonement and it was amazing.  We then managed to slip out of there and they we went out to visit more people.  

We tried one family from Brazil because they are pretty fun and we hadn't seen them for a while.  We knock on the door and the husband answers the door, with no shirt on!!!  I am sure our eyes got really big because he kind of laughed.  His wife wasn't available so we left.  We got in the car and kind were like, what?!?!  Super awkward.  

It was almost 8 by then so we decided to try one of the few families in our ward with older kids.  We get there and walk in just as they are bringing out the Hobbit birthday cake with happy birthday written in elvish on it.  We sing happy birthday with them and then awkwardly leave because we just crashed the party.  We were done with being awkward by that time so we went home and watched the "Family Answers" video by the Church made in the 90s.  Fun ending to a not so great week.

 Last Monday when we went to the church building to 
A Smile from poor Sis Davis who had a terrible headache

play volleyball with our district, Sister Davis got nailed in the head with a volleyball that one of the Tongan elders served.  She wasn't even playing!  She had a really bad headache all the way up until Saturday.  It was kind of scary.  We thought she might of had a concussion, but we're eventually able to rule it out.  

She was kind of scary as she drove though.  She drove well, she just was a little confused as to where she was and where she was coming from.  On Wednesday after I had come back from going on exchanges she made 5 wrong turns on the way home. She missed one turn and made a turn when she wasn't supposed to.  After telling her she went the wrong way, she yelled "Tell me before we are supposed to turn!"  To which I had to respond, "We weren't supposed to turn!!!!"  We had to laugh about that, but it was a little scary. I had to tell her where to go after that. She also told me that she had been lost several times that day but Sister Thurber hadn't noticed because she didn't know the area.   We weren't able to get out much because her headache was so bad.  She couldn't stand light or noise, and she couldn't focus very well.  We had to be creative with our plans.

Tuesday morning Sister Davis taught an indexing class for the Relief Society and it went really well.  She taught me a little bit so I was able to help her out. Indexing is fun and easy, highly recommend doing it if you are bored!  It helps so much with family history, making records searchable.  Anyone can do it!  

That night we had dinner with our Elders Quorum president and he said something really nice to us. Said he was thankful that we were on time, even when dinner wasn't ready quite on time. Said that the last set of missionaries before us weren't on time very often, and that we were earning their trust because we always made sure we were prompt and on time. It was really nice of him.  

Tuesday night we went on exchanges, I going to Nottingham Country with Sister Garlick, and Sister 
Exchanges with Sis. Garlick
Thurber went back to Katy 4 with Sister Davis. Nottingham Country is a bike area, so I got to bike!!! I was super excited. By the end of the day though I realized how out of shape I am!!!!  My legs were like jelly.  I thought I was going to fall down the stairs afterward, my legs felt  
Bike for the Day
like they were going to give out.  The seats weren't very comfortable either.  I miss my bike!!  It is much nicer.  If I have to leave Katy, I want my bike and to go to a bike area.

Thursday we had weekly planning.  Sister Davis was still not very well so we did most of it from our room with her laying on her bed hiding from the light.  She was able to help and participate, but she was kind of out of it.  I have started writing down when she takes medicine, what and how much.  

Our district was going to do some service at a local school carnival, so I arranged for a babysitter for Sister Davis and I went.  It was fun.  I manned the ring toss, so even though I can't throw well at all, I encouraged those little kids.  After returning to our apartment, Sister Davis did not look well at all. She then told me about her night.  I had arranged for 
Camille, one of our ward missionaries and a girl preparing to put her papers in, to watch her. Apparently though, after about ten minutes Camille had gotten really sick and slept in her parents room, leaving Sister Davis with her 18 year old brother Sam. Sister Davis was not happy with me.  She felt super awkward.

Friday we had district meeting and it was amazing!!! Elder Thomas had us all prepare a little lesson on the Atonement and how it has helped us in our lives.  It was so great.  We were all able to come closer as a district and feel the Spirit really strongly.  It was so great.  I love the Atonement and how much it covers.   It covers all of our sins, sorrows, illnesses, and pain. Christ knows exactly what we are going through even when no one else does.  I am so grateful for the great gift of the Atonement that Christ has given to us.

I hope you have a blessed week!!!


Sister Hudgens


Texas Easter Egg

Easter Crafts with Taggarts