Sunday, April 6, 2014

Hunting for Rodents of Unusual Size


Women's Conference
Sounds like you were really busy!!!!  Sounds like lots of fun though.  This week wasn't too terribly busy for me, but I still had lots of fun!

Last Monday we had dinner with the Grahams.  We hadn't met them before and they seemed a little quiet so we were a bit apprehensive.  Turns out we shouldn't have been, they are hilarious!!!  One of my
Picture of Nutria from Wikipedia

favorite dinners so far. 
They told us about how they go hunt for nutria in the retention pond behind their house.

Nutria are basically the Rodents of Unusual Size from the Princess Bride.  So they take their kayak out to the little pond thing and their daughter steers it while Brother Graham shoots them with his pellet gun. Sister Graham then brought out the skull from one of the ones they had killed and showed it to us.  It was pretty neat.  We have organized our own nutria hunt for today with the elders in our district.  We invited the sisters, but "something came up"  More fun for us! I will have to let you know how it goes next week.

On Tuesday we went over for our final lesson with one of the families in the ward we are teaching.  It is usually just the mom and daughter, Addi.  Usually Addi is super quiet and doesn't say a word, but she must have gotten used to us or something because she just wouldn't stop talking!!!  She was going crazy with the things she was saying too, spilling all the family secrets. Her mom was so red, we couldn't help but laugh though.  Some of the things she said : Addi "My step-dad yells at me." Mom "He does not!" Addi "Have you heard him?" Mom "yes!" ; Addi "When my mom and step-dad got married they said they would never yell at each other, but I heard him say the other night, 'Stop yelling at  me Trisha!' "  It was pretty funny, and we don't think anything less of the family.  

On Saturday we did a lot of service!  The Katy Mills elders texted us at 7 in the morning and asked if we wanted to go volunteer at this bike rally for disabled adults one of the kids in their ward was doing for his eagle project.  We agreed and it was so much fun!!!  

Ran out of bread so had a PB&J quesadilla.
I got to ride a bike for one thing, which I was super excited about.  I rode next to a guy named Wilson, who has some mental disabilities.  It was my job to help encourage him and help him to make his goal of biking 5 laps (each lap was half a mile).  That involved cheering for him, offering words of encouragement, and pushing him up hills on occasion.  I didn't want to keep getting off and on the bike so for the last lap I ran.  Now I remember why I don't like running, I am still sore!!  But it was so much fun.  After Wilson did his 5 laps I walked with Sister Davis and the lady in an electric wheelchair that she was partnered with.  So I ended up doing 6 laps for a total of three miles.  That is more exercise than I have done the whole time I have been here!  It was so much fun though.  I am hoping that we will be able to get pictures from the people photographing the event.  After the rally we pulled weeds in a members garden, so I got a lot of sun this week.  A few of the members have noticed that Sister Davis and I are a lot darker.

The Women's Broadcast was amazing!!!  I loved it so much.  When Sister Oscarson said that many of those in attendance were with their moms, I am pretty sure all of the missionaries got a little homesick for their moms I know I did!  I was kind of sad that I didn't get to go to this first time broadcast with my mom, but it was great just the same.  I really liked all the songs, I feel the Spirit best through music so it was just perfect!  

Hope y'all have a great week and don't shoot your eye out at the gun class!!


There was this huge storm and the sun looked really cool.  I don't think this picture does it justice.

Sister Hudgens